Dr. Jarnagin indicated that the trauma and pain associated with the second surgery should be comparable with that of the first. Just a day or so ago, the pain from the surgery on June 15 began to subside. I am starting to sleep a bit better and hope soon to start getting through the nights without the assistance of a nurse's aide. Yesterday, I was able to walk for the first time with a fairly normal stride and posture. Today, I began to cut back on the pain pills. A visiting nurse service is coming twice a day to change the bandages on the infected wound, and I am scheduled to continue taking antibiotics for approximately another week. Although my belly is still distended-- I am wearing size double extra large sweat pants-- the swelling is starting to subside. As soon as I have reduced my ingestion of pain medication enough so that I am not groggy, I will post an update on this blog inviting visitors.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Status and Schedule
This morning, I had appointments with Dr. Jarnagin, the liver surgeon, and Dr. Saltz, the medical oncologist. Dr. Jarnagin removed the remaining 36 of the original 40 staples-- four had previously been removed to treat the post-surgical infection that developed. Dr. Jarnagin also scheduled the second surgery, to remove the right lobe of my liver, for August 3. Dr. Saltz indicated that he will probably re-start my chemotherapy a few weeks after the August 3 surgery.