I am greatly appreciative of offers to come and visit me. Once I feel well enough to receive visitors, I will so indicate on this blog. Also, I am appreciative of the e-mails that I have received since going into the hospital. My powers of concentration and recall have not returned to normal, and I hope you will forgive me if I do not remember some communications during this period. Although I do not intend to resume posting every day, I will post again when there is some significant change in my condition.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Happy Fathers' Day!
Less than six days after being admitted to the hospital, I have just arrived home. Prior to the surgery, the surgeons had estimated that I would be released from the hospital sometime between six and 14 days after the surgery. I was interested to learn that the appendectomy that had been performed on me about 50 years ago had pushed my colon upwards and to the right. The pain on the right side of my abdomen that caused me to seek medical attention was owing to this unusual location of the colon (colon cancer does not usually present as a painful condition). I do not know whether or not the displacement of the colon had anything to do with the cancer or its failure to be detected in an earlier stage of its development.