I had intended to entitle this post "Setback", but after hearing this morning's medical report, I decided to change to the above. I am hopeful that the new title better fits the situation.
Last night, after two consultations with the doctor on call, Charlie and I returned to Urgent Care (MSKCC's emergency room). The area around the incision had become redder, and the redness was spreading. At 2:30 a.m., after blood tests, cultures, and opening of several stitches to clean the wound, a bed was located in the completely full, in-patient part of the hospital, and Charlie was readmitted. He is on intravenous antibiotics.
This morning, the doctor said the infection is already better, meaning that it is responding to the antibiotic. The plan is to keep Charlie in the hospital one more night. After he goes home, a visiting nurse will change the dressing daily so the area can be kept open for continued drainage. Dr. Jarnagin's fellow says this happens in about ten percent of cases, and he appears optimistic about the outcome. I will post again later today with an update.