Although the surgeons have the final say, it appears that I have been cleared for my surgical procedure by the internist, Dr. Vincenzino, who was assigned to review my test results and to examine me. She examined me on Tuesday and detected a heart murmur as well as a resting pulse of about 45 beats per minute. As I have never had heart problems, she thought the murmur was probably just a result of my anemic state. Nevertheless, she ordered an echocardiogram. On Wednesday about 12:30 p.m., I got the news that the cardiologist who interpreted the cardiogram found no abnormality. (Historically, my resting pulse was about 50. Over the last year or so, it had gone up to about 60. No one has explained to me why it has dropped to about 45 currently-- I am on no new medications.)
After fasting and otherwise preparing myself as instructed on Sunday, I will report to MSK for surgery on Monday. Following the surgery, Susan will post updates on my condition on this blog. For those who are interested in the procedure itself, you may read about it in an article that a friend, Martin Corrado, brought to my attention:
http://www2.mdanderson.org/depts/oncolog/articles/06/4-apr/4-06-1.html