In early 2002, having determined that I would retire from my job at the end of 2008, I decided that I did not want to be physically unable to enjoy fully my retirement years. So I went on a diet, which entailed losing about two pounds a month for 24 months. Then I did two things to keep the weight off: 1) bought new clothes and had my old clothes altered, so I would have an immediate logistical problem if I gained weight; and 2) went on an exercise program, which consisted of two hours at the gym every morning (one hour of cardiovascular exercise, one hour with a personal trainer) and about an hour of walking around the city during the day. A number of people, not least Susan, said I got to be too skinny. Vestigial love handles argued otherwise.
Friday, May 8, 2009
Gym Rat
For the first time since we left for South America in early February, I went to the gym today. Although I didn't do much-- 25 minutes of cardiovascular work and about 10 minutes of light weightlifting and sit-ups-- I got pleasantly tired. As I had wondered if I would ever be able to go to the gym again, I also had the satisfaction of minor accomplishment.