Thursday, April 9, 2009

Location, Location, Location

When we bought our current apartment in 2003, like anyone else choosing a new residence, we put a lot of emphasis on location. We are located across from an entrance ramp to the Queensboro Bridge, which means that we can travel to the Long Island airports, golf courses, and racetracks without having to deal with Manhattan traffic. I had a twenty-minute walk to my mid-town office, and we have similar walks to Carnegie Hall, Central Park, and the rest of midtown Manhattan. A crosstown bus stops almost in front of our building, and two subways have stops within less than ten-minute walks. There is a kaleidoscope of ethnic restaurants within a ten-minute walk. 

What we failed to appreciate is that we are located only 12 blocks from the main campus, and a mere six blocks from the outpatient chemotherapy facility, of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC). We (either Susan or our son usually goes with me) have probably been averaging three or four trips a week to the MSKCC facilities. Today, I had a scheduled visit to one of the facilities; last night, I had an unscheduled visit to the other. I really feel for the patients and their families who have to add difficult commutes to their burdens of disease and treatment.