In handicap races, the more accomplished horses in the race carry more weight. Allowance races are good quality races, and non-graded, listed stakes are even better. Grade III and grade II stakes races are progressively higher quality races. Grade I stakes races are even higher quality races, and a handful of so-called classic grade I races like the Belmont Stakes are the defining races for a generation of horses. Most owners, trainers, and jockeys never win a grade I race in their careers. Although a horse of mine, Primitive Pleasure, placed (i.e., finished in the top three) in two grade I races, and another horse of mine, The Wedding Guest, was favored in a group I race, I have never won one.
Yesterday, there were many top horses competing in important races at Belmont Park. The outcome of the Grade I Manhattan Handicap, in which our trainer, Christophe Clement, ran two horses for two different owners, was illustrative of the vagaries of racing. One of his trainees, champion Gio Ponti, went off as the 6-5 favorite in the field of 11 and finished second to his other entrant, Winchester, a 20-1 longshot. In grade I races, much more than prize money and cherished trophies and memories are at stake, including potential careers at stud and the values of the horses' dams (mothers) and siblings.
In the race in which Mustang Island-- a horse that is always anxious to run-- participated, we wanted Rajiv Maragh, his jockey, to cover him up early so that he would not burn energy fighting against Maragh's hold on the reins. When a horse is covered up, it has a horse directly in front of it and preferably one also just to its outside. As a result, the horse paces itself to keep from running into another horse. As the race unfolded, as we had anticipated, the horse in the number one post position sprinted away to a clear lead on the extremely firm track surface. Unfortunately, none of the other horses dropped down to the open spot on the rail. Thus, Mustang Island had daylight in front of him the whole way. As a result, he fought for his head throughout the race and never relaxed, finishing third, beaten less than two lengths for first and a nose for second. Having lost two races in a row employing this strategy with Mustang Island, perhaps we should permit him to go to the lead at the beginning of his next race.
As long as my horses run competitively, adverse racing luck never bothers me. I am mindful that I have won my share of races with an assist from good racing luck.