Monday, June 14, 2010

Witness to Greatness

Yesterday morning, Susan and I rode with friends in their Maybach to New Haven to see the Stubbs paintings. The backseat of that splendid automobile is so comfortable, and the company in the car was so delightful, that the drive to and from New York was pain-free for me. Of the Stubbs works, the piece de resistance in the New Haven museum is the monumental canvas of the first of Stubbs' known portrayals of  lion/horse encounters.

When we returned from New Haven, it started to rain. My son and I watched on TIVO the second start by the phenomenal rookie pitcher, Stephen Strasburg. After dinner, on a live television broadcast from Los Angeles, we watched Zenyatta set a new record for thoroughbred horses, in a hard-fought victory, by winning her 17th straight start.

By the time I went to bed, I had a fever and was in some physical distress. But I had been a beneficiary of greatheartedness and witness to greatness throughout the day.