Friday, March 27, 2009

A Twelve-Hour Day

We left home at 8:15 a.m. to go to the hospital to have the infection caused by the implantation of the Mediport checked. At 1:30 p.m., we went back to the hospital when the infection appeared to worsen. At 8:20 p.m., we arrived back home.  In the interim, the Mediport was removed, implantation of a PICC through my right arm was attempted unsuccessfully because of thrombosis caused by implantation on March 12 and removal on March 15 of a PICC through the same arm, and a PICC was subsequently implanted through my left arm, where it now resides. A PICC, like a Mediport, enables infusion of chemotherapy. 

I opted to undergo these procedures under local anesthesia on the understanding that, if I did so, I would have to stay in the recovery room for only an hour. But bureaucracy prevailed, the computerized instructions to the recovery room were botched, and the nurse wouldn't let me go home for the better part of three hours.