Fleximer is Mersana's proprietary, nanoscale polymer that can be linked to small molecules and biotech drugs across therapeutic categories to enhance their delivery-- with the goal of improving effectiveness and safety. In addition, Mersana is working on Fleximer as a delivery system for drugs based on short-interfering RNA (siRNA), which hold significant promise for treating cancer and a host of other diseases, but lack a viable delivery system.
As I phased out of my job at Harris & Harris Group, I gradually reduced my direct involvement in its portfolio companies. Nevertheless, until I retired from Harris & Harris Group, I remained a director of Mersana.
When I read the news about the Teva deal, I emailed Mersana's CEO, Julie Olson, and COO, Pete Leone, to congratulate them. Julie made me feel really good by saying in her email in reply, "We wouldn't be here had it not been for all of your support and belief in the technology and the team!"
There are a number of companies in Harris & Harris Group's portfolio with great promise. But, given Mersana's potential for improving the health of mankind, if Mersana were to fulfill my dreams for its technology, my small role in its corporate history would be more than enough of a legacy for me to have left behind.